Main Dishes Recipe Index

Lentil and Fresh Basil Orzotto

today’s post is particularly exciting, since it’s being featured as this week’s Friday Yum on Swings and Roundabouts! really happy to share with them and you one of my favorite veg staples: lentil and fresh basil orzotto.

what is orzotto? it’s very similar to risotto, but uses orzo (rissoni) instead of traditional Arborio rice. my version also uses olive oil instead of butter, and lots of wine and fresh basil for a healthy richness.

the beauty of this dish is that it was born of accident. usually it’s a hearty lentil, veggie and basil soup. this time, i kept stirring and adding wine/water as it absorbed, which created a creamier texture that was perfect topped with extra parmesan. fresh basil is a necessity in this recipe – it makes all the difference. and feel free to be extra liberal with the wine (i was)!

what started out as a favorite autumn soup has become a healthy version of my favorite Italian indulgence. hopefully it becomes one of yours, too.

head over to Swings and Roundabouts to get the full recipe
and have a look around!

• Reply Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets 01/05/2011 at 9:53 pm

Wow this looks so good — love the colors too! Congrats on the guest post =D

• Reply Jessi 30/04/2011 at 5:38 pm

Ooh that looks so good!

I’m your newest follower, I loved looking around your blog. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

• Reply Candace 30/04/2011 at 11:39 am

omygoodness Yasmeen! That looks fantastic. Congratulations on being featured! I am crazy about all things “risotto” and have a love for orzo and did you mention fresh basil and lots of wine? I’m in. I happen to have a bag of lentils in the pantry that I haven’t cooked yet. In fact, I’ve never had lentils ever before. I guess I was waiting for this recipe. I’m going to be making this one this week for sure. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. I’m going to visit your featured post now.

• Reply Lady Grey 30/04/2011 at 3:19 am

Oh my, that looks AMAZING!

• Reply Nuha 29/04/2011 at 9:46 pm

how are you so creative? to me lentils = shorabit 3adass and mjadarra haha :)

• Reply Christina 28/04/2011 at 11:48 pm

this looks delicious! i love using orzo bc it’s so similar to my last name (orso)! i should try to make this. :)