Main Dishes Mezze + Small Plates Recipe Index

Spinach Salad with Persimmons and Almonds

here’s a simple, unique, nutrient-rich salad for your weekday. i love this concoction because it comes together in a minute, and has the sweet-salty-crunchy combination i need to keep me interested in salads. plus, it uses my favorite fruit: persimmons.

persimmons are all over the farmers markets right now, and i couldn’t be happier. since the best ones only emerge in autumn, i try and snatch them up and consume as many as possible in those few short weeks. if you’re new to persimmons, they look a bit like bright orange tomatoes, but with firm flesh and a very sweet, floral taste. there are a number of varieties grown and sold globally — fuyu persimmons are most common in the West, and are my favorite.

we eat loads of spinach in this house, since it’s delicious raw or thrown in last minute to just about any hot dish. here, the spinach is a neutral base for the sweet fruit and warm crunch of the toasted almonds. olive oil and lemon mingle with the persimmon’s juice, and in less than 5 minutes you have a healthy, vibrant snack or salad for any time of day.

baby spinach
1/2 persimmon per serve, sliced
small handful toasted whole almonds per serve
drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice, to dress
distribute baby spinach equally among serving bowls (i made this salad for two). slice the top off the persimmon, cut in half, then cut each half into 3-4 small slices. chop about a handful of whole toasted almonds per serving (if not toasted already, just place them on a pan on medium-low heat or in a toaster oven until fragrant).
distribute the persimmon slices and the toasted almonds over each bowl, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice, and serve.

• Reply Candace 29/05/2011 at 8:01 pm

I love the colors in this salad! So beautiful and healthy! I remember eating a persimmon that wasn’t ripe off of a tree when I was a child. What an experience! I’m afraid that I’ve never tried a ripe one before. Your description sounds much different than what I experienced! I definitely want to give a ripe on a try sometime. :)

• Reply sarah nicole 11/05/2011 at 11:57 pm

I’ve never had a persimmon! I will have to look for them next fall.

• Reply girlichef 11/05/2011 at 11:12 am

You know…I’m trying hard to remember if I’ve ever even tried a persimmon…and I don’t think that I have!! Wha…? I guess I just never really knew what to do with one. I’m going to have to change that…this salad looks and sounds wonderful 😀

• Reply Miss Muffy 11/05/2011 at 3:44 am

I ADORE persimmons- I have no idea why I haven’t put them on a salad before! Thanks for the idea!!! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday @ FTLOB :)

• Reply Lucy 11/05/2011 at 1:30 am

i’ve a bowl sitting on my table at the moment, and i love do so love them. lovely salad, especially with the almonds. nice to meet you!

• Reply Ashley 10/05/2011 at 11:40 pm

Yum! I will have to try this sometime!

• Reply Jennifer 10/05/2011 at 5:46 pm

This looks fantastic! Stopping over from Tasty Tuesday! <3 Soooo glad I did! <3

Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

• Reply Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen 10/05/2011 at 2:22 pm

This looks pretty delicious! Just discovered your blog…interesting stuff! :)

• Reply Joanne 10/05/2011 at 11:54 am

Salads with fun mix-ins are the BEST! And this looks so delicious…I love the persimmon slices. They are one of my favorite fruits!

• Reply b. lee 10/05/2011 at 11:29 am

fresh & flavorful * *

• Reply Tanvi@SinfullySpicy 10/05/2011 at 4:27 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog Yasmeen.Love your beautiful blog! I love salads with veggies and fruits together.This is such a perfect fit for my palate.Would be back for more :)

• Reply Lady Grey 10/05/2011 at 2:02 am

I’ve only eaten a persimmon once, and I loved it! This salad looks amazing!

• Reply Agnes 09/05/2011 at 11:13 pm

Ah, I never thought of having persimmons in a salad before! Normally I just eat them plain – I like the non-astringent version when they’re still a bit crunchy. So fab!

• Reply Foodness Gracious 09/05/2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m familiar with persimmons but can honestly say I have never tried them. The salad looks fresh and tasty and had only ever come across recipes for persimmon pie, hmmm…
    Thanks, and cool pictures!

• Reply Christina 09/05/2011 at 1:41 pm

i think persimmons are the cutest! weird, i know. now i really really want to leave work and go buy one. shoot.