Main Dishes Recipe Index

Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes

Thanksgiving and mashed potatoes. It’s meant to be.

My sister is historically the Mashed Potato Queen (MPQ), her recipe heralded by the potato lovers in our family (that would be all of us). When I started making my own mashed potatoes, I used hers as a benchmark: smooth and creamy, but still honoring the potato with a bit of texture. Buttery, but never too much so. Perfect spread on each bite of turkey, with a bit of cranberry on top. Yes.
Two Thanksgivings ago in Holland, she mentioned using chicken stock for flavor and silkiness. What sounds like a small addition adds immense depth of flavor, especially if you use a rich, good-quality broth. Plus, it lessens the need for extra butter, which means you can have an extra generous serving.
This year, I built on my sister’s classic by adding two things that unavoidably say Thanksgiving to me: rosemary and roasted garlic. Our rosemary plant is off its head growing healthily and begging to be used. Sweet roasted garlic, golden brown and soft from the oven, adds a whole new dimension.
If you have never had roasted garlic, you’re in for a treat. I won’t say too much and spoil the surprise. Just allow an additional 40 minutes of cooking time and bask in the amazing aroma that will fill your kitchen. Or, roast the garlic the night before and add it to the fresh potatoes the next day. Might as well make two, and have a loaf of crusty bread on hand, just in case you can’t curb temptation.
Serves 4; recipe easily doubled (tripled) for Thanksgiving day
5 medium-sized potatoes (‘floury’ or non-waxy are best – like Dutch Creams)
1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 milk
2 1/2 tbsp butter
1 small head garlic
1 stalk rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 200C / 400F. Remove the outermost skin from the whole head of garlic, maintaining the skin on the individual cloves. Slice through the top of the garlic to expose the tops of the cloves. Sprinkle with sea salt and a small amount of rosemary, and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap snugly in aluminum foil and bake 35-45 minutes until it feels tender when squeezed (with gloves on). Once cooled, squeeze the garlic cloves out and roughly break them up with a fork.
Wash the potatoes and pat dry (if using a tender-skinned potato, no need to peel). Slice in bite-sized bits, and place in a pot of cold water. Cover and bring to a boil, cooking 7-8 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain.
Add the chicken stock, milk and butter to the potatoes, and mash together until halfway smooth. Mash in the rosemary and roasted garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Audio pairing: Mr Scruff “Jazz Potato”
I love when puns work out

• Reply Friendsgiving with Yasmeen and Jason - Apples Under My Bed - A food diary. 27/11/2013 at 3:18 pm

[…] the menu: ♥ Roasted turkey (Yasmeen has great tips in her post here!) ♥ Mashed potatoes ♥ Cornbread ♥ Ciabatta stuffing with chestnuts and pancetta (addicted) ♥ Green beans and […]

• Reply Cass @foodmyfriend 16/11/2011 at 5:25 am

Don’t judge me, but I would eat that head of garlic. Right. Now.

• Reply Fresh Local and Best 14/11/2011 at 5:12 pm

This is quite a special mashed potato dish. I love the combination of rosemary and garlic, and it does well to be added to mashed potatoes.

• Reply Heidi - Apples Under My Bed 14/11/2011 at 9:33 am

Roasted Garlic is the best thing in the world. I’m sure of it :)
    Heidi xo

• Reply Anh 14/11/2011 at 4:36 am

I want to eat spoonfuls of this!!

• Reply Reem | Simply Reem 13/11/2011 at 5:14 am

I can eat this by it self, such a flavorful mash…

• Reply kankana 13/11/2011 at 2:57 am

I can eat just plain mashed potatoes for days .. and when you have roasted garlic and rosemary .. that’s like double yummy !

• Reply A Bitchin' Kitchen 12/11/2011 at 9:56 pm

I loooove mashed potatoes, and love roasted garlic even more. Recently I roasted a whole head of garlic, mashed it up with a little olive oil and salt, and spread it on baguette slices. I ended up eating the entire head of garlic, and literally smelled like garlic for about 3 days, even after multiple showers.

I think reeking of garlic again would be worth it for these potatoes. They look awesome!!

– Maggie

• Reply Soma 11/11/2011 at 3:55 am

roasted garlic and rosemary YES! 2 of my very favorites. Its an elegantly dressed mashed potatoes.

• Reply Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy 11/11/2011 at 2:13 am

The ultimate comfort food, made so much better with that sticky roasted garlic! Awesome

• Reply Amalia 10/11/2011 at 7:25 pm

This look amazing, the picture of the roasted garlic is fabulous! It’s nice to dress up the usual mashed potatoes with different flavors and spices, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner :)

• Reply Joanne 10/11/2011 at 12:13 pm

Making good mashed potatoes really is harder than it seems! The roasted garlic and rosemary are perfect flavorings!

• Reply Jennifer (Delicieux) 10/11/2011 at 9:31 am

Yum!!! Coming from an Irish background I absolutely adore mashed potatoes….and with roasted garlic and rosemary yum!!!

• Reply Candace 09/11/2011 at 10:33 pm

This is a fantastic version of mashed potatoes. Nothing goes better with potatoes than rosemary and roasted garlic. I love the idea of using chicken broth too. Thanks!

• Reply Sam {} 09/11/2011 at 10:14 pm

mmm, these pictures have me drooling!! i must try soon :)

• Reply Nuha 09/11/2011 at 5:04 pm

how did you know that i have been craving mashed potatoes ( for like months!) ….you are my fairy food mother :)

• Reply Sue/the view from great island 09/11/2011 at 3:44 pm

I just want to sit and stare at that roasted garlic all day…I’m not usually a mashed potato fan because they’re so bland most of the time. I will have to try this, what a great mix of flavors.

• Reply Winston 09/11/2011 at 12:38 pm

Same for me, Leaf. High-5!

Anyway, Yas. Reading about the roasted garlic literally struck my stomach with hunger pangs! I loooove garlic and this sounds like one of the most beautiful way to prepare them. I’m going to use this in my next mash too and hopefully many other dishes after! I can’t get enough of your roasted garlic, I’m sure it’ll be a huge hit with anyone! YUM!!!

• Reply leaf (the indolent cook) 09/11/2011 at 12:05 pm

Mashed potato is one of the first Western foods I learnt to make and it’ll always be a favourite! Love your version.

• Reply Hannah 09/11/2011 at 11:53 am

In my family, we love sneaking horseradish into our mashed potatoes. But considering how often rosemary and roasted garlic show up with our baked potatoes, I know I’d love this too!

• Reply Tina 09/11/2011 at 11:40 am

These are something that should grace my dinner table. Just that close up of the garlic and knowing it is in there is enough to make my mouth water. Delicious.

• Reply Rosa's Yummy Yums 09/11/2011 at 11:38 am

Those look really mouthwatering! I particularly like the addition of roasted garlic and fresh rosemary.

• Reply msihua 09/11/2011 at 11:21 am

I love mash potatoes.. I grew up refusing to eat rice or bread on certain days and would only eat mash potatoes.. MmMmm

• Reply Teuvo Vehkalahti 09/11/2011 at 10:55 am

Greetings from Finland. This blog is nice to explore, through other countries, people, culture and nature. Come and you look at pictures Teuvo blog and tell all your friends that they too would look Teuvo photos to your country’s flag would rise higher than the blog my flag collection. Thank you Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland