Desserts + Sweets Recipe Index

Wholemeal Cranberry, Pistachio and White Chocolate Biscotti for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap

Few things come close to getting real, handwritten snail mail. Especially when the parcel is stuffed with holiday cookies. Three dozen of them, from other bake-happy food bloggers, to be exact. That was the premise of Lindsay (Love and Olive Oil) and Julie’s (The Little Kitchen) idea for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.
Sign up, receive three bloggers’ details, send them three dozen scrumptious cookies and receive three dozen in return. Eating + befriending new bloggers: wonderful! When Amanda from Easy Peasy Organic asked if I’d be interested in bringing the swap to Oz, I could hardly resist.
After a bit of back-and-forth (Christmas-themed? Middle Eastern? Classic?) I decided on something festive but also travel-friendly for delivery to my fellow swappers interstate: whole wheat biscotti with plump, tart cranberries and crunchy pistachios, drizzled with sweet, melty white chocolate.
Biscotti usually call for white flour, which I attribute to their occasional hardness. In this adaptation I used whole wheat flour plus raw sugar, resulting in a subtly sweet cookie with a bit extra give (read: easier on your teeth). They’re just right, doused with white chocolate warm from the oven, and dunked into your daily espresso (or 3-4 dailies for you Melburnians)… being sure to linger for an extra moment or two to soak in the hot coffee.
Biscotti make ideal holiday gifts for friends or coworkers, too. Place a few in a little tulle bag and tie with ribbon, or stack them high in mason jars for a sweet takeaway gift.
Big thanks to Lindsay and Julie for hosting the swap in the US, and a big hug + thanks to my Aussie bloggers – Amanda from Easy Peasy Organic, Sherilyn from Whole Promise and Steph from Bondville – who shared in the fun with me.
Adapted from Martha Stewart; Makes 3.5 dozen mini biscotti

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup boiling water
3 cups wholemeal flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tablespoons cold butter
3/4 cup raw caster sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whole unsalted pistachios
1 cup white cooking chocolate
Preheat oven to 190C / 375F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, soak cranberries in the boiling water for 10 minutes, until plump. Drain and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer (or a large bowl to use with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well to incorporate after each egg. Beat in the vanilla.
On low speed, sift in the flour and salt, mixing until just combined. Add the cranberries and pistachios, mixing again slowly to combine.
Turn out the dough on a floured surface and divide in half. Form into two long logs, about 16″ x 2″, flattening the tops slightly. Bake, rotating halfway through, for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Reduce heat to 150C / 300F.
Using a serrated knife, slice crosswise into 1/2″ slices. Place back on the baking sheet, sliced sides down, and bake another 25 minutes until firm to the touch and lightly browned. Place back on the wire rack to cool.
Melt white chocolate over a double boiler. Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate all over, and allow them to set another 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Audio pairing: Mr Scruff, “Get a Move On”

• Reply I Live in a Frying Pan 25/12/2011 at 7:56 am

I’m such a sucker for biscotti, and for cranberries, and white chocolate, so this is my perfect tea time snack! Love the photos…hopped over to your blog after reading your comment on mine, and I’m glad I did! 😀

• Reply mustardseed 20/12/2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh I love these! I can imagine all the wonderful flavors of pistachios, cranberries and white chocolate in my mouth!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

• Reply Winston 20/12/2011 at 1:29 pm

Love the idea behind the blogger cookie swap! So fun! I’ve always been such a fan of biscotti (and anything crispy, really) but can’t believe I’ve never made one myself before… I have to give these a go because they look simple and fun to make too! Yay for new baking ideas… I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I believe I’m slowly becoming a baking convert! Not as daunted by the idea of it as I used to, haha! ;p

• Reply Miri 20/12/2011 at 4:43 am

I just baked some milk chocolate macadamia biscotti! yours look lovely drizzled with chocolate – the cookie swap sounds scrumptious!

• Reply Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy 19/12/2011 at 10:13 am

Looks fantastic! These would be fantastic as edible gifts!

• Reply Steph Bond Hutkin (Bondville) 19/12/2011 at 2:34 am

I can honestly tell you that these biscotti are amazing – they definitely have a bit of “give” to save the teeth, and truly perfect with a cuppa. Thank you Yas for the lovely swap!

• Reply Gerry @Foodness Gracious 17/12/2011 at 7:20 am

White chocolate, (said in a very dreamy, hypnotic voice) I love me some white chocolate and the biscotti is the king with crans and pistachio..
    Take care,

• Reply 17/12/2011 at 1:53 am

Your biscotti looks wonderful! I need to make these this weekend!!

• Reply Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy 16/12/2011 at 2:01 am

ooh I have been thinking that I would like to make biscotti for Christmas gifts this year. Looks like I have found THE recipe! Merry Christmas! :)

• Reply Nuha 13/12/2011 at 7:14 pm

i woke up this morning thinking of baking biscotti’s…tucking this recipe away for future reference :-) i’m thinking chocolate biscotti’s though..yumm!!!

• Reply Ashley 13/12/2011 at 7:42 am

Ooh, what a delightful mix and a great concept! :) Always hard to say no to cookies! Would worry about how they travelled, but I guess within Australia it wouldn’t be so much of a problem. :)

• Reply Sherilyn @ Wholepromise 13/12/2011 at 2:49 am

I can honestly say – these didn’t last long in our house… The boys loved them..

• Reply Amanda @ Easy Peasy Organic 13/12/2011 at 12:27 am

YUM!!! We *so* have to do this every year. I loved getting cookies in the mail!

• Reply leaf (the indolent cook) 12/12/2011 at 1:54 pm

What a great and interactive idea! Your biscotti looks lovely, definitely something that’ll spread some joy all around!

• Reply Anh 12/12/2011 at 10:58 am

The cookies look really delicious! And I love this flavour combo, too!

• Reply Hannah 12/12/2011 at 9:31 am

There are two things I love about biscotti: the endless variations in flavours, and how everyone shapes them differently :) This cookie swap is such a great idea, how I wish I had time!

• Reply Rosa's Yummy Yums 12/12/2011 at 7:03 am

Those look fantastic and so festive!

• Reply Candace 12/12/2011 at 2:03 am

Those are absolutely beautiful, Yasmeen. I love the little dribble of chocolate under the rack. I think I would have had to rescue it with my finger. Yum!

• Reply Blithely Unaware 12/12/2011 at 1:13 am

Oh my!
    These look so delicious and a great “Christmas” version of biscotti, totally considering whipping these up for our Christmas party on Wednesday!!

• Reply Sarah 12/12/2011 at 12:57 am

Yum, these look delicious! Love the fact that they’re wholemeal, and so pretty too!

• Reply Shells 12/12/2011 at 12:06 am

These look great – I must make some.