Desserts + Sweets Mezze + Small Plates Recipe Index Vegetarian + Vegan

Watermelon with Mint and Rosewater

Little needs to be said to convince you to try this crisp, refreshing summer dessert. Drippingly sweet and juicy watermelon flecked with fresh mint and a hint of rose. It is quite possibly the easiest, yet most elegant tasting, treat to serve on any hot afternoon or evening.
Since there are so few ingredients in this dish, quality is important. Especially with the star of this show, watermelon. Here are my tips for picking a great one:
  1. If there’s a farmers’ market nearby, go there first. Farmers’ market fruits are usually picked when ripe, or almost ripe, which means you have a better chance of cutting into a bright, sweet melon. Supermarket crops are often picked before they reach their peak.
  2. Pick a pretty one. That is, one that is relatively free of big blemishes and dents (it doesn’t have to look perfect. Just undamaged).
  3. Is it heavy? Since watermelons are full of liquid, a nice, heavy one is a good sign of ripeness.
  4. Tap a few of them, and pick the one that sounds the most hollow.
Get picking!
Watermelon with Mint and Rosewater

• Watermelon, chilled
  • Handful of mint (whole, chiffonade, chopped to your preference)
  • A few drops of rosewater

Slice the watermelon - however much you need for yourself/your guests - and arrange on a plate. Chiffonade a small handful of fresh mint and scatter atop the watermelon.

Add a few drops of rosewater all over the watermelon (a little goes a long way - you just want a hint). I find it easiest to put my thumb over the opening of the bottle, then shake it upside down over the melon so a few drops sprinkle out.

Serve chilled.

Audio pairing: Frank Ocean, “Sweet Life”

• Reply Winston 03/02/2013 at 2:58 pm

Tres yummy!! Them rosewater really did wonders to the watermelon Yas. Want a thick slice of em right now. Btw is that a Corelle plate? Haha!

• Reply Kiran @ 07/11/2012 at 7:45 pm

Watermelon, mint and rose water?!? Enough said :)

• Reply Heidi - Apples Under My Bed 06/11/2012 at 12:37 am

So simple, so refreshing! Bring on Summer & more beautiful desserts like this.
    Heidi xo

• Reply Nuha 04/11/2012 at 10:56 pm

I keep forgetting your starting summer in Aussie. I wish we had fresh watermelon around so I could try this…with a bit of cheese on the side :-)

• Reply Yasmeen 05/11/2012 at 12:43 am

Yes – watermelon and cheese is a match made in heaven!

• Reply Winston 02/11/2012 at 1:50 pm

Hope you don’t get too surprised when I tell you this but I’ve actually never bought rosewater before =O. It’s a flavour I always enjoy when I taste it at restaurants or friends’ places but don’t know why I haven’t gotten myself a bottle now. Seems like there’s SO much we could do with them. Totally transformed these usual watermelons into sth way more awesome. Yum!

• Reply Yasmeen 05/11/2012 at 12:43 am

It seems like a niche ingredient but you’re right, there’s so much you can do with it in the sweets department. If you want to go grab some, any of the places up on Sydney Road will have it (like A1 Bakery, for example, where you can also stop for a snack) :)

• Reply Angie 01/11/2012 at 7:42 pm

A perfect summer treat. I love the touch of fresh mint leaves.

• Reply Yasmeen 05/11/2012 at 12:41 am

Thanks, Angie. The mint really brings the fruit to life.

• Reply Hannah 31/10/2012 at 10:15 pm

I adore, I adore. It’s been too long since I last made my watermelon, mint, and feta salad, but now I feel that next time, there’ll be rosewater instead of feta. Love rosewater! ‘Course, it’s turning to winter here in Canada now…

• Reply Yasmeen 01/11/2012 at 5:03 am

Yes, the feta and watermelon mix is gorgeous, too! Really this is all just a plot to lure you back to Australia. Be warned, I have many months’ worth of summer fruit in my arsenal. So, get packing!

• Reply Hannah 01/11/2012 at 2:42 pm

Alas, my dear, even all the summer fruit in the world couldn’t lure me back right now. I awoke to snowflakes drifting onto gorgeous Christmas-like trees out here in the northern Ontario wilderness and, despite the cold, my heart is singing at the adventure and magic of my current life :)

• Reply leaf 31/10/2012 at 11:12 am

I’ve also made something similar and it’s delicious! :)

• Reply Yasmeen 01/11/2012 at 5:03 am

So glad you like these flavors, Leaf.

• Reply Noor AlQahtani 31/10/2012 at 10:33 am

I make this quite a bit we love it.

• Reply Yasmeen 01/11/2012 at 5:03 am

We do, too. It’s a summer classic, just had to be shared.

• Reply msihua 31/10/2012 at 9:53 am

You make the most interesting things. Hmm maybe I’ll make some for my husband too :) *Wink*

• Reply Yasmeen 01/11/2012 at 5:03 am

Thanks, I-Hua! I feel the same way about your dishes. I love that we can learn from each other. I find these flavors to be so romantic, so… perfect to make for that new husband of yours!

• Reply Rosa May 31/10/2012 at 6:22 am

An interesting combination!

• Reply Gerry @ Foodness Gracious 31/10/2012 at 5:52 am

Great picking tips! My kids would demolish this in a second, they love watermelon,

• Reply Yasmeen 01/11/2012 at 5:04 am

Much appreciated, Gerry. Lucky to have kids who love their fruit, but who could blame them. Watermelon is the epitome of summer.