Basics + How-To's Mezze + Small Plates Recipe Index Snacks Vegetarian + Vegan

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus | Wandering Spice

Something quick today, as we prepare for a games, drinks and finger food night with the family: sun dried tomato hummus.

Sun dried tomatoes may not be authentically Arab, but combining them with hummus is a crowd favorite that comes together at a moment’s notice. Whereas many commercial brands are packed with sugar, salt and preservatives, homemade hummus is a nutritious, all-natural snack. Here is an easy way to make your own at home.

In this instance I used sun-dried tomatoes that weren’t packed in oil, then added 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the mix. I recommend doing this, as the flavor of the non oil-packed tomatoes is stronger, plus the hummus won’t be too oily. If you already have oil-packed tomatoes, no problem. Just press them to drain some of the oil before you add them to the food processor.

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

• 400g cooked chick peas (dried/boiled or canned, your preference)
  • 3 tbsp tahini
  • Juice of 1 small lemon
  • 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (drain very well if using oil-packed)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup water
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Place the chick peas, tahini, lemon juice and sun dried tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse until just combined.

Add the olive oil and 1/4 cup water, and process for 20-30 seconds until smooth. If the hummus is too thick (some sun dried tomatoes are juicier than others), add water until desired consistency is reached.

Spread on a plate, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and additional sun dried tomatoes, for garnish.

Audio pairing: Motor City Drum Ensemble, Raw Cuts #6″

• Reply Libby 28/02/2013 at 7:07 pm

Came across this recipe via Winston’s blog. This looks amazing and something that I’m definitely going to make in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Priya Elias 20/02/2013 at 1:18 am

I love sun dried tomatoes and I love hummus. Going to try this – I don’t think I’m going to share it with anyone 😉

• Reply Joanne (eats well with others) 19/02/2013 at 11:43 pm

I love the seductive flavor of sun-dried tomatoes and it sounds especially delicious in this hummus!

• Reply gerryspeirs 18/02/2013 at 12:24 pm

I could easily eat a ton of this! Looks amazing and your pics are awesome!!

• Reply Yasmeen 18/02/2013 at 5:07 pm

Thanks, Gerry! This was a quick snap on the go, so I’m extra glad it turned out!

• Reply Hannah 18/02/2013 at 11:32 am

Oh yes please. Just the treat I can make now that I no longer live in tomato-allergic households!

• Reply Yasmeen 18/02/2013 at 5:07 pm

Liberation at last! :) Really easy to make. Each batch can be a bit different depending on the chick peas that day. Trick is to add small quantities of water at a time and increase as needed.

• Reply Winston 16/02/2013 at 11:17 pm

Gosh this recipe is so amazing, Yas!! Was really looking forward to it ever since you first told me abt it. Thanks for sharing! I’m thinking of having a picnic next Saturday so I hope to make this on Friday night to share with my friends. Am sure we’ll all love this so much. Just one thing, I’m honestly quite new to this (sorry) but where can I get Tahini?? Dumb question but do they sell em at Coles? Yikes! Thanks again for your help as always =)

• Reply Yasmeen 18/02/2013 at 5:00 pm

Not a dumb question at all. You can get tahini at any Middle Eastern store (try Sydney Road), and many green grocers/delis/Mediterranean stores carry it. Coles and Woolworths both sell it, too. Personally I like the Lebanese brands, but if there’s a Woolworths by you, there’s an organic Australian brand called Mayver’s that I bought and liked. It has a somewhat richer taste than the traditional kind but has great texture and is all natural. The only one I’d stay away from is the Macro Organic UN-hulled tahini – it has a bitter aftertaste. I hope that helps!

• Reply kankana 16/02/2013 at 6:00 pm

Lovely addition to the hummus. The sun dried tomatoes would surely add lovely zest!

• Reply Yasmeen 18/02/2013 at 5:06 pm

They add great depth of flavor with very little effort :)

• Reply leaf 16/02/2013 at 2:54 pm

Oh the deliciousness of sun-dried tomatoes! Love the way you styled the dip, too.

• Reply Yasmeen 18/02/2013 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Leaf! We always smooth it onto a plate and add plenty of olive oil. That way you get a bit of oil with every bite.

• Reply Tutti Dolci 16/02/2013 at 5:16 am

I love hummus and sun dried tomatoes, can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Yasmeen 16/02/2013 at 9:11 am

Thanks, Laura! My sister-in-law introduced me to it, actually. I’m somewhat of a hummus purist (I usually prefer it prepared the traditional 3-4 ways), but I loved
      these flavors together and glad you like it, too.

• Reply Joyti 16/02/2013 at 4:10 am

I just had hummus last night, plain with a bit of paprika sprinkled on top. One of those things that’s not as hard to make as it seems, I think. Your version sounds delicious.

• Reply Yasmeen 16/02/2013 at 9:12 am

Yes – I always sprinkle paprika and cumin on top of mine, with plenty of olive oil. It is definitely an easy thing to make at home – it’s a matter of getting to know your food processor and, sometimes, the batch of beans (some are smoother, others not, etc). Luckily it’s very forgiving so you can keep adding water/lemon juice/extra chick peas/ tahini until it’s your desired consistency :)

• Reply Rosa May 15/02/2013 at 6:46 pm

A tasty hummus! This version is wonderful.