Lazy Saturday mornings are cause for celebration. Our busy lifestyles, in my opinion, necessitate leisure as soon as it becomes available. This tartine is a suitable place to start.
In the Middle East, it is quite common to pair sweet whole-fruit jam with tart, creamy cheese. Most notably one will witness a marriage of apricot and feta, or some other sharp sheep’s cheese. Today, I used my favorite black cherry jam and the crumbly Danish-style goat’s feta stashed in our fridge.
There’s no exact recipe required here, just slather your favorite jam on a thick slice of sourdough toast (we get ours from our local bakery), then top with crumbly cheese and toasted almonds. No special equipment, either, though a fluffy robe and hot coffee wouldn’t go astray.
- Black cherry jam (I like St. Dalfour Black Cherry, but use whichever whole fruit spread you like)
- Feta cheese
- Handful of slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 thick slice of sourdough bread
- Toast the sourdough to your liking. Spread generously with cherry jam. Dot with feta cheese, and sprinkle all over with toasted almonds.
- Serve immediately for breakfast. Or, substitute thick-cut sourdough with mini crostini toasts, and serve as canapés at a party.
Audio pairing: Tame Impala, “Mind Mischief”