Basics + How-To's Videos

Video: How to Make Labneh

03/02/2014

Ever wanted to see me talking about something very simple for a very long time? Today is your lucky day. This is me, making labneh on camera.

Let’s Make Labneh | Wandering Spice on Vimeo.

My brother and I engaged in a little cross-continental toying around with video, hoping to develop a series of How-To recipes for the blog. This video was made nearly a year ago(!) and in truth, could be about four minutes shorter. But, it was our first foray into video making and was just a bit of fun.

I’m going out on a limb here – everybody is embarrassed to see themselves on camera, and I am certainly no exception. But, as part of my goal to be more fearless in 2014, and diversify my posts to make this a more useful/experimental/informative space, here goes nothing.

I’d love to hear your feedback about cooking techniques or quick recipes you’d love to see on video. Middle Eastern cooking has some interesting techniques that I think are easier to grasp with visuals. Your feedback is what keeps this place going, so drop me a line in the comments and let me know what you think.

• Reply Fatemah Alhusayni 20/03/2014 at 7:27 pm

Loved this video Yasmeen…You have such a sweet personality that comes through. Wish you all the best

• Reply David 19/02/2014 at 12:45 am

Great video – and I love labneh, and can’t wait to make this! I have a ton of za’atar just waiting for it…

• Reply Lunch with Yasmeen - Apples Under My Bed - A food diary. 17/02/2014 at 6:06 am

[…] lady. She is intelligent and funny and kind, and her food brain inspires. Because of Yas I make labneh with confidence and crave comforting […]

• Reply leaf 08/02/2014 at 6:44 pm

My shoddy internet seems to be preventing me from watching the video in full, but from what I’ve seen, you have nothing to worry about, you’re great in front of the camera! I’ll try to view the rest of the video again later.

• Reply Heidi Apples 06/02/2014 at 2:13 pm

SO excited to make Labne now. I love love love this video & can’t wait for more 🙂 x

• Reply Yasmeen 06/02/2014 at 9:50 pm

You’re the best. Thanks for all your encouragement! Your suggested video is on the way, shooting it this weekend 🙂

• Reply fatboo 05/02/2014 at 5:04 pm

I watched the video thinking “FINALLY! Can’t wait to tackle making this delicious and healthy dip” only to realise it is such a beautifully simple thing to make! Thanks for sharing, you looked pretty comfy being on camera, and now I know what to do with leftover mint !

• Reply Yasmeen 05/02/2014 at 6:43 pm

Yay, Bryan! That makes me so happy that you found it helpful. Thanks for the compliment about being on camera, too. It took me a year to share this but I feel really inspired by these nice comments to keep making them. Suggestions welcome!

• Reply Jessica @ Bint Rhoda's Kitchen 05/02/2014 at 12:32 am

Lovely video! Your labneh process seems so refined compared to my baladi way of pouring yogurt into a pillow case and hanging it from my faucet. 🙂

• Reply Yasmeen 05/02/2014 at 6:37 pm

Jessica that is so cute, I love that! Totally baladi but in the best way. My mom used to put the yogurt in an oblong plate, then balance one end on another plate over the sink (so the yogurt plate was tilted, and the liquid could drain into the sink). She’d leave it overnight and it worked perfectly every time.

• Reply Joanne (eats well with others) 04/02/2014 at 11:10 pm

This is so great! I’ve only ever bought labneh, which is kind of silly because I knew in the back of my mind that it was pretty easy to make. Definitely can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Yasmeen 05/02/2014 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Joanne! That means a lot to me. It is really easy to make and actually more budget friendly to just buy regular yogurt and DIY.

• Reply Dixya Bhattarai RD 04/02/2014 at 2:43 am

i have tried making it at home but for some reason couldnt get it like at restaurants, I will be trying your version again. thanks for such a great video..

• Reply Yasmeen 04/02/2014 at 1:52 pm

Thanks, Dixya! Let me know how it works out for you.

• Reply Rosa 03/02/2014 at 7:40 pm

I love labneh! Great video.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Reply Yasmeen 04/02/2014 at 1:53 pm

Thanks, Rosa! I appreciate your support. Always very awkward to see yourself on camera.

• Reply Elizabeth@thebackyardlemontree 03/02/2014 at 3:36 pm

really liked the tip using the paper towels, as I never seem to have cheesecloth around to drain my labneh.

• Reply Yasmeen 04/02/2014 at 1:53 pm

I’m glad that was helpful. Cheesecloth would be the more environmentally friendly option, but I don’t always have it around either, and figured it’s best to show how to work around that.