Featured Main Dishes Mezze + Small Plates Recipe Index Snacks Vegetarian + Vegan

Spinach, Halloumi and Mint Gozleme

Spinach, Halloumi and Mint Gozleme | Wandering Spice

Spinach, Halloumi and Mint Gozleme | Wandering Spice

She looks at me with suspicion, sometimes, that woman in the mirror; doubt. She wonders where I’m going, if I’m making the right decisions. She’s nosy and needy and holds me back. She rebuffed when I told her it was over between us last week. That I was finally walking away to create something, keep creating, keep sharing, and let go of her irresolute ways.

That’s when this gozleme happened. Sometimes it’s writing, other times stretching or getting fresh air that lifts me from a funk. That day, it was straight to the kitchen to get my hands dirty – sticky with dough, slick with oil, with something warm and consumable at the end. It was the only way, and it worked.

spinach, halloumi and mint gozleme

Squeaky halloumi is enough to lift one’s spirits – lets face it. Tucked into a piping-hot fold of fresh bread with spinach and fresh mint… doldrums, be gone. This isn’t exactly the flaky, buttery gozleme made by the wrinkly Turkish grannies at all the local markets. I use half whole-wheat flour, which makes for a slightly denser dough. Halloumi and fresh mint, too, instead of feta or cinnamon.

Spinach, Halloumi and Mint Gozleme

The dough makes four hearty pockets. One each with a salad (or one on its own… or two just for you…) makes for a regenerative lunch. The dough freezes well can be thawed for future personal victories as they arise. I guess that means you’ll need to double the recipe, because things are only going up from here.

Spinach, Halloumi and Mint Gozleme

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4 gozlemes

• 8g sachet dry yeast
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cups baby spinach
  • 150g halloumi cheese, cut into small (say 1/2") cubes
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1 lemon, quartered, for serving

Combine 300ml of warm water, the yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and place in a sunny or warm spot for 5 minutes, until it's frothy.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours. Pour in the oil and yeast mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until it forms a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 minutes, until elastic.

Lightly oil the same mixing bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with that clean tea towel again, and take it back to the warm spot to rise for 20 minutes. The dough should double in size.

Divide the dough into four pieces (to use, or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for future use).

Roll out each piece of dough until it's nice and thin - you should be able to see your fingertips through it, but it doesn't have to be paper-thin.

Divide the spinach, cheese and mint leaves over half of each rolled-out section. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Fold one edge over the spinach-and-cheese filled half, pinching the seams and folding them over once to bind each parcel closed.

Heat a grill or fry-pan over medium-high heat. Brush the pan with olive oil and fry each gozleme for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and puffy.

Serve immediately, with the fresh lemon quarters for squeezing.

This recipe is adapted from Taste.com.au's "Spinach and Feta Gozleme"

Audio pairing: Curtis Mayfield, “Move On Up”

• Reply Laura @laurasmess.me 30/05/2014 at 7:59 pm

You write so beautifully Yas. Seriously, just reading this is enough therapy for me! I need to visit your blog more often… and possibly the next visit, I’ll be reading whilst eating this gorgeously crisp gozleme xx

• Reply ironchefshellie 28/04/2014 at 1:45 pm

This looks and sounds amazing. I don’t have enough spinach or halloumi in my life, let alone gozleme!

• Reply Yasmeen 28/04/2014 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Michele! Making a concerted effort to have more of it in my life, too. x

• Reply Heidi Apples 28/04/2014 at 9:28 am

So much good therapy in this recipe, all of it, from creation to eating. Amen sister x

• Reply Yasmeen 28/04/2014 at 3:06 pm

Thanks my sweet. It’s creation and enjoyment as therapy, not necessarily the food itself (…but halloumi helps) :) Glad you get me.

• Reply miss messy 26/04/2014 at 9:42 pm

These sound incredible! :) I love halloumi in anything!

• Reply Yasmeen 27/04/2014 at 10:03 am

Agreed and glad you like it.

• Reply David 26/04/2014 at 10:01 am

Ignore that woman in the mirror – what does she know? I am so glad you made these to share, and I was glad they are cooked on a grill pan. The possibilities for fillings are endless!

• Reply Yasmeen 26/04/2014 at 7:36 pm

Thanks, David :) Yes – you could fill them with anything. My favorites are the classics: spinach/cheese, and spinach/minced lamb. But, I bet some kind of pumpkin/cheese/pine nut combination would be great, and many others. Would love to see what you come up with.

• Reply David 26/04/2014 at 11:45 pm

My first inclination was to go in an Italian direction and use mozzarella, prosciutto, oven-dried tomatoes and fresh basil. But then you mentioned lamb and I forgot all about Italy. Of all meats, lamb turns my head like no other! By the way, I should explain my grill pan comment. I was afraid that this would require some fancy panini press or something I don’t have! A grill pan, I definitely have! Happy Saturday!

• Reply Yasmeen 27/04/2014 at 10:05 am

No fancy presses required. Our brother-in-law gave us a panini press as a gift, but we use the old cast iron grill pan more than anything. Minced or shredded lamb would be my pick. Go nuts!

• Reply Hannah 26/04/2014 at 4:46 am

My comment was going to be all about how gozleme and poffertjes are quintessentially Australian to me, epitomising Australia’s multicultural glory, because they’re at every food/music/cultural festival I go to in Canberra/Aus, and are therefore such a part of Australian life in my mind.

But then I read your first paragraph and now I simply want to give you a great big squeezy hug and say yes, yes, yes. You are doing exactly what you should be doing and you are exactly where you need to be. I am sure of it. Because you are perfectly Yasmeen in all your Yasmeenyness. xo

• Reply Yasmeen 26/04/2014 at 7:43 pm

Biggest thanks – you are amazing. I can’t wait until you are back!

And yes 100% to the multicultural glory of Australia. It’s especially apparent in the food, which is the best part of course. (Speaking of which we are going to King’s Day celebrations tomorrow w/ our Dutch cousins – perfect time for poffertjes and kibbeling!)

• Reply Tutti Dolci 26/04/2014 at 2:24 am

These pockets look mouth-watering, the perfect lunch or bite!

• Reply Yasmeen 27/04/2014 at 10:05 am

Just right for lunch – the thin bread is just filling enough without inducing a lunch coma!

• Reply Winston 25/04/2014 at 9:57 pm

What a great stroke of inspiration there! In my days of feeling uninspired in the kitchen, I always turn to one of the many cookbooks that people have given me in the past (that I never use as often as I should) haha. These gozlemes are so rustic and homemade. Perfect for work lunch as it’s easy to reheat with the office sandwich press =)

• Reply Yasmeen 27/04/2014 at 10:06 am

Very easy to re-heat. Great point!

• Reply Rosa 25/04/2014 at 6:39 pm

Oh, they look so scrumptious! A fantastic treat.